Wednesday, October 3, 2012

You won't know until you try

Last night was our second of three prenatal classes.  After already enduring the day long child birthing class, I was looking forward to the shorter classes.

Breastfeeding was up first.  I was able to convince Gene to come with me for moral support.  It was recommended a spouse, or care partner come with you so in your sleep deprived moments post baby birth, you'll have another brain that might be able to help you sort out any difficulties you might have.

As soon as we got to class I scanned for familiar faces.  Luckily I didn't seen any of the extreme question askers from the child birth class, but that didn't mean that there wasn't a few new ones in hiding. 

We settled into our seats, complete with our practice baby. She seemed disproportionate to me, but what do I know about babies.  The instructor began with her power points, and droned on and on for over an hour.  clicking through slide after slide, but not remembering what was on each slide so many of them she kept repeating herself. 

I didn't really know what to expect going into this class.  We did get to practice a few positions, and see how it feels to hold the baby.  She briefly talked about pumps and things.  She spent the most time talking about latching and its importance. 

In the end I determined that breastfeeding is just one of those things that you can't explain until you try it.  Every woman is different and every baby is different.  She did talk about the correct way to put the baby to breast and how not to unlatch them.  I would think all of this could be covered as a one on one lesson once the baby arrives.  Which I know they will do anyway.  She already told us a lactation consultant would be by multiple times during the day to check on you. 

I feel like I was suckered out of my time and money on this one.  Lets hope the last one, the baby care/happiest baby on the block class is better!

No comments:

Post a Comment