Thursday, October 18, 2012

Miss Independent

I'm very independent.  Almost stubbornly independent at times.  But yesterday, I realized I should take advantage of help.  Things are getting harder to do.  Its harder to move around, its awkward, its uncomfortable. 

I tackled the grocery store yesterday after work.  We needed a few things that couldn't wait any longer.  When I got there it was so crowded!  Its usually busier in the evenings when I go, but this time it was crazy.  And I always get stuck behind the slow, old people.  I have a very distinct system in the store.  I always follow the same route, and I always follow my list.  (I actually have an app that will organize your list by the aisles in the store.  I love it.  I just go down the list and when I get to the bottom, checkout!).

Anyway, after a long day at work, I wasn't prepared for the business at the store.  I had quite a few items to get, so my cart was full, and heavy.  Normally, Miss Independent, would push the buggy out to her car herself and load it up, but yesterday, for the first time, I let the bagman (he was over 65, so he wasn't a bagboy), take it all to my car.  Its a small thing, but I realized it would be so much easier on myself to just let him do it for me.  I didn't need to overdo myself anymore.  The parking lot is always hard to maneuver and he packed the bags all crazy so I didn't need to do any heavy lifting. 

It felt really odd giving up that little bit of control.  I've heard so many people tell me lately that I should take it easy.  Sometimes I've almost felt like an invalid because people won't let me do anything.  Even simple things.  I've had an uncomplicated pregnancy (knock on wood), and I've gone about my life as usual.  The doctors didn't put any restrictions on anything I could do. 

I'm not a complainer.  You take what you are given and you work with it.  No excuses, no exceptions. Its been frustrating at times to relinquish this idea.  I know it will be over soon and everyone will return to their normal selves.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment