Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Greatest Wife Award

I'm giving myself the greatest wife award this week. 

Last week was Gene's birthday.  As a gift, I gave him tickets to the Carolina game that weekend.  I got three so we could make it a family deal.  He worked out plans to tailgate with some of his friends.  We got up Saturday morning, loaded up and headed to Columbia.

We knew when we got there that we would have to park in general admission parking.  We tried to get as close to the tailgate as we could.  I told the boys I can walk as long as they need me to, I just don't walk that fast anymore.  We weren't in any hurry, so that was good.

We hung out at the tailgate for a while, till it was time for the game to start.  We headed with the crowd to the stadium.  Again, not going very fast, but moving.  I let them wander ahead and I kept my eye on them.

Then it came time to go into the stadium.  I knew we had upper deck tickets (I was the one who bought them), so I knew of the upcoming suffering.  The security guard at the gate complimented my organized bag and took the time to tell me about the First Aid services they have and that if I needed anything at all I should stop in. 

Our tickets were scanned and thus began the uphill climb for the 31 (almost 32) week pregnant lady.  Stair after stair, I climbed my way up.  Not moving fast, but getting there.  Holding on to the handrail and looking at each step as I took it.  I tried to block everything else out and just focus on the task.  I did hear a boy tell a girl he was with that if I could do this, so could she.  8 flights later, I made it to the landing. 

At this point I'm completely out of breath and I have to pee.  I make a bee line to the bathroom.  There is no energy to hover.  I take a good look, ok, all clean, and plop.  I sit for a few minutes to catch my breath.  The huffing and puffing must have sounded interesting from outside the stall. 

I shimmied up my sweaty maternity shorts and set out to climb to our seats.  (row 26).  I knew once I was up there, I wasn't coming down until we were done.  I was excited to get to our seats and sit for a while, but as soon as we got there it was time to stand for the prayer, and the national anthem. 

I did the right thing and I stood up.  It was parents day, and the prayer included mentions of family and parenthood.  Gene gave me big side hug, and let me lean on him. I wanted to tear up, but I was too exhausted too.

We survived till the 4th quarter and then we started to make the trek back.  Going down stairs is much easier than going up!  8 flights down was a breeze, I just had to fight the masses back to the tailgate. 

We hung out long enough to give my legs a rest and then we made it the rest of the way to the car.  Then I did the nice thing and I drove home (you know, since I was sober!).  I was exhausted, but it made Gene the happiest man in the world. 

Once we got home, I showered and immediately collapsed in to the bed. I don't know if going to a college football game at 31 weeks was my smartest decision, but I'm glad we got to go.  We haven't been to a Carolina game in years, and who knows how hard it will be next year.  I certainly wouldn't do it again this year! 

Just seeing Gene at his Alma Mater, happy as a clam, sharing the experience with his family made it all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment