Thursday, September 6, 2012

Argh!

I just survived the three hour glucose testing.  I arrived on time.  Ready to be stuck and drink the goo.  When researching doctor google I discovered that the 3 hour test has a higher level glucose drink.  I would still drink the 10 ounces, but it would be 100mg of glucose instead of 50.  And yes, it was like drinking two at one time. And yes, it was just as nasty as the first time.

I chugged that sucker as fast as I could.  I had 5 minutes, but I think it took 2.  I only stopped because I didn't want to gag, or spill it on my shirt.

Then I got to sit in the waiting room for an hour.  At least they had a tv and I brought the ipad.  I entertained myself while the sugar did its thing.  I could feel it.  Having been fasting since dinner time (ok dessert time) it wasn't pleasant to sit there while another pregnant woman down an egg bagel and a Starbucks. 

I also decided to do a little experiment of my own.  I brought along my glucose meter.  I knew that they would be drawing my blood and not be able to tell me anything until it was done at the lab.  I'm too impatient for that.  I checked my fasting level at home, 76.  Not to bad, just what one might expect.

I checked it again at the one hour mark.  198!  Yikes.  No wonder I wasn't feeling well.  I just thought it was scrolling through pinterest that was making my nauseous and dizzy.

I still had to sit and wait.  And people watch in the waiting room.  Lots of pregnant ladies coming in and out.  Some with fresh ultrasounds in there hands.  Some with their spouse.  Some were annoying as crap because they talked too loud and shouted questions at the tv.  (If you would pay attention dumbass you wouldn't have to ask it?!?!)  Some gave more than one of us a chuckle.  (These people have or want to reproduce!)

Hour 2 done.  This time my number was down to 125.  That's better, I guess.  More time with the ipad and words with friends (thanks mom!).  I'll never get off level 20 in Bubble Witch, but I tried my hardest.  I pinned a ton of crap to my pinterests boards.

Finally its hour 3.  My arms are sore, my head is sore, my back is sore.  Level is now just down to 120. Its time to leave the office and get some lunch. 

If Dr. Google was correct, you need to pass 2 out of the 3 hour marks, under 140.  So, technically, if my meter was correct, I should be ok.  But I won't know until they call.  Which probably won't be until Monday, or maybe I'll have to wait till Tuesday at my appointment to ask. 

Either way it doesn't look like I should have any lemonade this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment