Thursday, September 20, 2012

Making memories

I love to bake.  I think I like the mixing and concocting.  Its like a science experiment.  And I like science.

Last night JJ and I hit the kitchen to bake Gene a birthday cake.  JJ loves to bake as much as I do.  I have to remember that.  I use it as my outlet sometimes, and sometimes I have to remember that its as much about being with him as it is being for me. 

I showed him the recipe and we began gathering the ingredients. He would name it and I would tell him where to find it. 

Then we started reading the instructions.  Line by line he would read to me what it said.  We would find the ingredient.  Then I would ask him how much of it we needed (while looking over his shoulder to make sure he said the right thing).  Then he would measure.  We enjoyed the math lesson.  Dividing 3/4 into a something we could use with the cups that we had.

He's still skirmish about breaking the eggs.  I still do that part. 

He got a good giggle when the dry ingredients puffed up into his face.  Then we scrambled to clean up the floor before Gene could see the mess we made.

He decided that he wanted to invent a beater that the batter wouldn't stick to.  I thought that was a genius idea.

He watched me carefully spoon the batter in to the pan.  And when I asked him to help me by opening the oven, he proclaimed that it was hot and he wasn't going to touch it! 

I love taking the time to stop and see things how they see it.  I know its going to be so much fun when Abby comes along.  I'm new to all this baby stuff.  JJ was 4 when we started hanging out, so I've got a few years to go before I feel comfortable knowing what I'm doing.  Although I don't think you can ever know what you are doing when it comes to parenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment