Wednesday, January 4, 2012

One

It takes just one right.  That's what they say.  That's what they want you to believe.  That's what I'm trying to convince myself. 

Yesterdays baseline was good.  I will say not great because I know too much and when I know too much I panic.  And panicing is what I'm doing right now.  Last IVF we retrieved 17 eggs.  We were so happy with that number.  However is reduced down to 2 great ones and one to freeze that later turned out to be crap. 

For those of you that don't know as much, here is a little lesson:
One of the scans they do pre-stim meds is to check how many dormant follicles you have in each ovary.  Its called an antral follicle count (AFC).  It gives you an idea of how many follicles (hopefully producing eggs) you will produce. 

In the past I've had an abundance of follicles.  It was something noted after the fact, that in conjunction with crappy embryo quality (subsequently linked to crappy eggs, since we specifically chose the best sperm) offered a slight change in plans for this cycle.  That change included adding a twice daily dose of Metformin in to the mix to help my insulin resistant ovaries produce higher quality eggs.

Yesterdays AFC was 7.  Just 7.  So, I'm preparing myself that we might only get 7 eggs.  We could get a few more, we could get less.  Its really hard to know at this point and I really need to start thinking faster when I am there and getting these questions answered while things are still fresh.  (I know I can call the nurse line and harass her with my questions, but the more I think about it, the more I know I'm over reacting.)

Its quality we are after not quantity.  It I only make one egg, I want it to be the best it can be.  If 7 is all I'm going to make then let them be the best 7.  Afterall, last time we really only ended up with 7 by day 3.  And from that 2 were superior and the rest were, well, ehh...

The nurse couldn't tell me if the Metformin was doing anything just yet.  I didn't want to tell her that I had googled.  Because, you know I refer to Dr. Google first.  Hence, the panic attack.  I'll never learn!

In other news, my estradiol levels are good.  I'm ready to start stims this Saturday.  I'm buckled in and ready to go.  The Lupron this morning burned like a son of a bitch and is still stinging, but I'm ready, bring on the juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment