Friday, August 10, 2012

The debacle

Last weekend, we went to Babies R Us to order the furniture.  We had selected it when we registered, but we weren't ready to get it due to space, and money.  I decided we could all go and make a night on the town with it.  Thought it would be simple and easy.  Ha!

I ask the store worker in the furniture department about ordering the three pieces.  He looks in the computer and tells me that he can get the dresser and the nightstand, but the crib is out of stock.  I ask if we can order one.  He tells me, No, if there are not any in the warehouse, we don't have any.  So I ask when there will be more in.  He says he doesn't know.  I ask if they do rain checks because the crib is currently on sale.  He said No.  So Gene asks if we can get one from another store.  He starts looking around and making some calls.  I ask him how come I can get the crib and dresser online, but I can't get the nightstand.  He tells me its because the nightstand is only special order and has to be done in the store.

At this point, another sales worker comes over and she has a little more knowledge.  I ask if I call the 888 number in the catalog, can we order all three pieces.  The guy says he doesn't know.  So Gene takes the phone and starts dialing.  At this point we explain to the lady what's going on.  She automatically agrees to give me the sale price because its not my fault its out of stock.  Yeah!  Gene is able to order the pieces on the phone, but it will be $200 more to ship them straight to the house and not just to the store.  Argh.

At this point, the lady tells us that this is a new crib set and they should get more shortly.  They are most likely out because of the sale.  She can't tell me exactly when, but she is confident it would be within the next few weeks.  Gene allows me to make the final decision.  He's ready to pull the trigger on the phone and eat up the $200.  I'm not ready to do that, so I say lets order the dresser and the nightstand, and check back on the crib.

Whew.... but just wait.

When we get to the register, we happen to get in line from our male friend in furniture.  He rings everything up, I swipe my card.  Just waiting for the receipt, and.... the computer crashes.  So now a manager is involved.  They don't want to run it again because they are worried it went through and they don't want me to get charged twice.  They keep checking their system, but they can't tell it went through.  After a long wait, the manager tells me I need to check my bank statement the next day and call back with the results.  If it went through, great, we are set.  If not, they can run it over the phone. 

So on Sunday, I check and its gone through.  I call the guy and tell him.  He said it didn't show going in on their side, but he would take my word and process it through.  I just needed to bring a copy of my statement by to prove it was paid.  Argh!

So yesterday, I go by to take my statement.  I ask for the guy, he's not there.  I ask for the manager that helped us, he's not there.  I even ask for the lady that helped us, she's not there!  Oh boy.  So a new person gets involved.  I tell her what's going on, I show her all my papers.  She fiddles on the computer. She disappears into an office in the back somewhere.  I stand at customer service and I wait.  A nice guy asks if I want a chair.  I decline.  I would love to sit down, but I want to stand there and see how much I am suffering and how much of a discomfort all of this is.

After an eternity she comes back and tells me that things are good.  She uses a lot of language I didn't understand, but the bottom line was reiterated that I can pick up my stuff in Anderson when they call.

So, since I am there, I decide to ask.  I ask if they have any cribs?  She looks it up and says yes they do!  Hmmm... I wonder how long they've know this.  I give it the benefit of the doubt, since I was suppose to get a call ASAP when they were available.  I tell her I want to order one.  She thinks I want to add it to my other order.  I tell her I don't care how its done, but I want that crib and I want to pick it up in the Anderson store.  She fiddles more on the computer.  They check me out.  Staple all my pieces of paper together and I'm out the door.

Exhausted!

Now we just wait two weeks for it to arrive and hope its what we wanted.  The nightstand will take longer, but its not a necessity right now and it should arrive before the birth.

I would like a little something in my lemonade now.

No comments:

Post a Comment