Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Mother Nature

My mother in law has a small farm of miniature donkeys.  There is 14 or so of these little creatures roaming the pasture between her house and ours.  They are no burden to us.  They are far enough away from our house we can't hear them, or smell them.  They are all friendly.  They will come to the fence when you walk by.  The will nip at your pants when you go into the pasture.  They are loving pets.

Yesterday I got word that one was having a baby.  After I got home and did my chores, I walked up to the barn hoping to see the new baby.  I was surprised to see Missy still in labor.  And she wasn't looking good.  Things had stalled and the vet was on the way.  She laid down in her stall.  Occasionally rolling around in agony.  She would periodically stand up.  I felt the need to stay with her.  Maybe a mothering instinct.  When she would stand, I would pat her head or rub her ears.  I would talk to her and tell her what a good job she was doing. 

Once the vet arrived he didn't feel optimistic about the situation either.  He said he could save Missy, but the baby is probably already gone.  They sedated her and was able to extract the baby.  The tiny Jennette had worked herself breech.  There was no way Missy was going to birth her alone.  As feared, the baby wasn't alive, but Missy would make a full recovery. 

When I left, I walked home through the woods and I stopped to smell the air.  To take a moment to process it all.  I was heartbroken for Missy.  I knew she would be missing her baby.  She experienced my biggest fear.  She carried that baby for 14 months and now its gone.  I'm not traumatized by the event.  I stayed on my own free will.  I wanted to see what would happen, I wanted to be the moral support for Missy that I knew I would need if I was in that situation.  I know she can't speak, but she can listen.  She needed to hear comforting things, to be reassured that everything would be ok. 

Every day, every thing is a blessing.  I gave Abby a good rub as I stood there in the woods.  She responded with a pat back.  They say there is nothing stronger than an bond between a mother and a child, and only mothers understand that.  I believe that's true.  I think Abby knows what I need and when I need it.  She was active while I talked to Missy.  Kinda of like a reminder that I'm doing the right thing.  Like I had my own little cheerleader helping me. 

At my check up this morning it was amazing to once again hear her heartbeat.  A sweet sound following by gentle kicking to let me know everything is ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment