Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I was mean to a pregnant woman

It wasn't really all that mean, and she did not take it personally at all.  It was just a little rub in her face, since I felt flaunting her pregnancy in front of me was rubbing it in my face.

Here's how it went down:

We gathered with friends.  We're all sitting around a fire, having a great time, drinking beer, and chatting.  Pregnant friend arrives and everyone gushes over her.  Asking her how she's feeling, rubbing her belly.  All the reasonable things people would do over a pregnant lady.  And, I'm ok with all that, it hurt, a lot, but its life and I got through it (not really over it).

Well things settled down and we started roasting marshmallows.  I wanted to make a smore and pregnant friend said she gave up chocolate for lent so she couldn't have one, just the marshmallow. She kindly toasted my marshmallow for me.  I pulled it off and plopped it on my chocolate and graham cracker.

I looked at her and I said this chocolate tastes so good, then I took a swig of beer, and said the beer tasted good too.  (I know she's been craving a beer).  Boo Ya.

Just my little underhand way of making myself feel good.  Pregnant friend has no idea of my struggles, and would be 100% supportive.  In gatherings like that, its unavoidable, so I need to do what I need to do to make myself stay sane.  Like I said, I got through it, its very, very hard to get over it.

On the topic of Lent, I decided this year that I wasn't giving up anything.  I've felt in the past year, I've given up a lot.  I've made personal sacrifises, and I've struggled.  During this time, I'm not going to endure anymore hardship.  I'm going to enjoy all that I have.  I'm going to love my family, my dog, my job, my life more.  I'm going to be thankful everyday for the things I've been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment