Monday, March 18, 2013

For this child, I prayed

Yesterday Abby became a child of God.  She was baptized.

It was again, one of those surreal moments.  To think of all those Sundays I sat in the pew and prayed.  Silently opening my heart to God, asking him for the baby I longed for.  I fought back tears thinking about, seeing my prayers being answered.

She was the perfect baby.  She sat contently with us till it was time.  She went to the minister without fuss.  She let him sprinkle her with holy water without a peep.  He lifted her up and declared her a child of God and she smiled back at him, like it was right on cue.  She sat through the rest of the service like and angel.  Taking a small cat nap during the sermon.  She was wide awake when it was over, ready for her pictures.

It was one of the two days in her life that she can wear white in front of the church.  And wear white she did.  Her gown was beautiful. A gift from my mother.  Embroidered with her name and the date.  She had little white shoes, adorned with Shamrocks.  (For St. Patty's Day).  I found it fitting that the little Irish girl got baptized on St. Patty's Day. 

Its one of those moments in her life that has come and gone too quickly.  I want to hold on to everything because it seems to go by faster than I can take it all in.  But it was truly the day I said thank you to God.


No comments:

Post a Comment