Monday, July 22, 2013

Hotlanta

This weekend we went to Atlanta. The boys had tickets to an international soccer tournament, so Abby and I tagged along. I'm always up for a trip away from home, and I was itching to go to Ikea.

We got to Atlanta at lunch time, and immediately it started to rain. We waiting for the downpour to stop so we could walk to lunch. Abby did great a lunch. She played in the high chair. She nibbled on french fries and tomatoes. After lunch, we headed back to get loaded in the car to go shopping. It's a short drive from the hotel. 3 miles or so. She fell asleep on the way.

When we arrived at Ikea, I was excited to find that they had family friendly parking. Right at the entrance. With wide spaces to allow the doors to fully open. With Abby asleep, I decided to put her in the front carrier while she napped. She woke up the minute I put her in there, but I continued to hope she would go back to sleep.

I found my cart and started to make my way around. The Swedes apparently believe in all wheel drive on their carts. That thing was so hard to handle. It did not like to turn corners. I had finally given up on Abby sleeping and decided to put her in the buggy seat. Well, I got a defunked cart and it didn't have a seat! I kept and eye out for another one, but I guess once you get in there, you can't get another one!

I finally just decided it was time to check out. I was sweaty and exhausted. I labored over loading everything onto the belt. Its hard to bend over into a cart with 14 pounds of baby strapped to you! They also don't give you bags at Ikea. You have to buy them. So I bought one large blue bag and tried to stuff everything into it. I managed to get the cart out of the store and to the car. I loaded Abby into the car and we headed for our next stop... Target.

The Target is in the same shopping area as the Ikea. I just had to go around some corners, but in that short time Abby fell asleep. I parked the car and questioned whether I should just sit there and let her sleep, but I just needed a few things, this was our last stop, so I decided once again to try the carrier. Knowing she was deeply asleep, I thought it would work. Well, the SOB is so hard to use, she woke up with me trying to stuff her in it. Again, she had no plans of going back to sleep. So part way through Target, I put her in the cart. At this point, Crabagail joined us on the shopping trip. She was cranky and whiney. So I grabbed what I needed and we check out. I was bummed that I didn't get to walk around and see what great deals I could find.

We started to drive back to the hotel, in the rain. She fell asleep again, almost immediately. The GPS took me on the interstate, which was bumper to bumper. After sitting still for 10 minutes, I took the chance and I got off at the next exit. I knew there wasn't much further to go, and I go scoot around the back side of the park and come into the hotel that way. Moving traffic made me feel so much better!

As we got closer to the Georgia Dome, we got stuck in event traffic. No such a problem, we didn't have far to go. I made one turn pretty easily, even though the cop wanted me to move to the other lane, but when it came to making a left across traffic, this other cop didn't like that very much. He beat on my car, so I rolled down the window. He screamed at me to keep moving. I explained that I needed to turn left. He kept screaming to keep moving. (Although I'm in the turn lane at this point, not holding any one up). I say I need to get to eh Embassy Suites, (which was a block up the street). He yells that I'm in the wrong lane for that, that I need to move. So I did. Against my gut feeling. I should have ignored him and just made my way across. It wouldn't have been too hard for them to stop for a second to let me cross. But no, I had to go all the way around the dome and come into the hotel from the other side. What a pain in my ass. Its raining, there are cars everywhere, there are people everywhere. I've got to pee like a racehorse. (Because its hard to pee with a baby strapped to your front!). I just want to get back to the hotel and collapse.

I finally made it. It took me 45 minutes to go 3 miles. I hate city traffic. Good news, was Abby was chippy and cheerful when we got back. Mommy endulged in happy hour while Abby played on the bed with her toys.

Ahh.... I don't think I'll be taking Abby to Ikea with me again. Next time I will go alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment