Monday, November 4, 2013

It's my party

Yesterday was the big day.  The first birthday party was finally here.

And I was a ball of stress.

I felt overwhelmed to have this beautiful pinterest worthy party, and it wasn't happening.  But, I knew that all that didn't matter.  I had everything we needed and nobody cared about everything else.

The day started off early.  Getting up and getting the house organized.  Getting the cake from Publix.  The lady at the bakery was smitten with Abby and loved making her smile.  Her cake was beautiful.  Just like I had asked for.  Pretty in pink.

We got home and started setting things up in the yard.  Table clothes out, flowers on the table, cake placed on the prettiest stand.  I hung up a banner I made with each photo of the watch me grow sessions.  I completed the last one on Saturday.  Not quite 12 months, but close enough.  I might do some again since Grampa wasn't being helpful and I was trying to keep her in the chair and not worrying about the picture.

I tired to get Abby to nap, but she wasn't down with that.  She did have quiet time in her crib for 45 minutes but she never closed her eyes.  Every time someone would come in the door, she would stir.  She knew there was excitement going on.  I gave her credit for playing independently for that short time.

But during that time, the stress came to a boil and I fell apart. I had worked so hard to create a photo collage on the mantel.  Some of the frames were precariously placed.  Gene had asked his mom to bring a one year photo of himself to display next to mine (and Abby's).  It got put in a place that wasn't perfect (in my mind).  In the process of reorganizing and resetting things, the entire display fell off the mantel.  Crashing to the ground, breaking the centerpiece frame. 

Others rushed to the rescue, but I didn't want help.  I didn't need help.  Help is what got me in that position.

So I picked up the pieces.  Trying not to just cry like a baby.  My dad came in to help me.  I decided it wasn't worth the fight anymore and I let him help me.  We hot glued the frame back together and I started to rebuild my masterpiece.  Again, it all crashed to the ground.  This time, breaking the glass in the frame of baby Gene.  At that point I decided that the photos of us were not meant to be in the collage and I took them off the mantel.  It was just bad juju.

I picked up all the pieces again and carried on.  The party went off without any more hitches. 

Abby still didn't care for cake, but she warmed up to it.  She preferred the chocolate cake over the vanilla.  She liked to have little pieces to pick up, rather than one large monstrosity. She loved having people sing to her.  She claps her hands and smiles really big.

We cleaned up and headed inside to open presents.  I think she was in awe of all the new things.  She wasn't interested in taking the paper off many things.  She wanted to play with the ones that were already unwrapped. She got several ride on toys.  And several toys that make music.  She loves those and dances to the music.

Once everyone left, she finally crashed.  She was worn out and it showed.  I woke her up after and hour or so, just so she would sleep at bedtime.  She didn't want to get up, but she eventually came around.  We ate dinner, played a little, then got a bath to get all the sticky off. 

I think she enjoyed herself.  I can't believe that tomorrow my baby will be one year old.  I think we should raise a glass to that!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment