Monday, May 13, 2013

Mothers Day

People kept congratulating me on my first Mothers Day.  While yes, it is my first mothers day with my own biological child, it's not my first mothers day.  For 4 years, JJ has celebrated me.  He always makes or gets me a gift, and he always calls to tell me happy mothers day.

Mothers Day was surreal.  The night before I felt like it was the night before my birthday, or Christmas.  It was hard to believe that day was finally here.  Even though, I've had 4 previous Mother's Day, it just felt different. 

It does feel different with a child of your own.  I got to spend the day with her.  We snuggled and played in bed till it was time to get ready for church.  We had lunch with friends.  The weather was perfect and so was Abby.  She's so easy going with people.  She did get fussy when she was tired, but she settled right down and took a nice little nap.

When we got home, I did a little packing for our trip to Ohio, while she took another short nap.  After that, I was able to work on a sewing project while she played on the floor.  Sitting upright is awesome! I was so excited to be able to be crafty again.  I made a little pinafore dress.  Its almost complete.  I just need to add the buttons to the front.  Its not perfect, but I think its pretty darn good, and cute too.  I think I'm going to take it to get her monogram on it (how southern is that!) I'm hoping it fits, I haven't tried it on her yet.  If not, I have enough fabric to size it down and try again.

I'm so extremely grateful for the ability to have this day.  There was a point in my life were I didn't think I would, were I would always just get a phone call.  It breaks my heart that there are other women out there struggling.  I hate when science fails, or miracles don't happen, or there isn't enough money, or time, or patience. Everyone who wants to be a mother should have a choice to be a mother.

I never thought I could love something so much.  Sure, being a mother isn't easy.  Its downright exhausting.  It's not always fun.  But its a challenge, and I love a challenge.  I love seeing Abby exploring and learning new things.  I love to watch her sleep peacefully.  I love to see her with her Dad or with her brother.  The sweet innocent giggles, the whole neck hugs, and the shoulder snuggles.  Its magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment