Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Family Ties

This weekend we travelled to Charlotte to see family.  It was a day trip, just up and back.  We went because my cousin graduated from college and they were having a party.  Really we went because Grammy was going to be there.

I am trying to take every chance I can get to see Grammy.  She's 80.  She's not going to be around forever.  Her health is, ok.  I don't think she would tell us if it was bad though.  I'm scared that she could be gone at any moment.  Its important that she gets to spend time with JJ and with Abby.  I remember two of my great grandmothers.  I think its special to have those memories.  I hope JJ can see that as well.

Grammy wasn't the only family there.  Aunts and cousins were also there too!  Including little Josie, who is just 4 months older than Abby.  She is just starting to walk, with help of course.  It was fun to see how much Abby will change in the next few months.  It was also fun to see them playing together.  They were very curious about each other.  Abby wanted to pinch Josie's cheeks.  (Abby has become a grabber)

Most of the extended family was there.  We were missing a few people, but it was great to see the ones that were there.  They live in Pittsburgh, so its not often that we can get together.  Either just weddings or funerals. 

Before we went to Charlotte, my parents came up to spend Saturday with us.  They just adore Abby.  Abby got to go into the pool for the first time.  She loved it.  Until she got cold.  But I think it was more hunger and tiredness that got her than the temperature.  We will try again, maybe this weekend. 

Everyone, of course, commented on how happy she is.  A smile is always on her face.  I think she just loves people.  Shes not all smiles at home.  We have our fits and our moments.  She just loves attention, from anyone.  At home, when she's not getting it (like when I'm showering, or folding laundry), she will cry and whimper till you hold her.  We try not to indulge in that habit.  I often tell her I will get her once I'm done doing what it is I'm doing.

The time with family this weekend was short, but sweet.  I enjoyed every minute of it.  If I could do it every weekend I would.  Family is so important.  Knowing your family is important.  I'm glad we have some family close, some a little closer, but I miss the ones that are far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment