Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day

Yesterday was Mother's Day.  I couldn't tell you the number of people who came up to me and congratulated me and wished me happy mothers day.  It rubbed me though.  Because I already am a mother.

I care for JJ just like his mom does.  Although he doesn't call me mom, I do all the momly things when he is with us.  For three years I've officially had this role, six if you go unofficially.  I know what he likes and doesn't, when he's sick, or lying.  He snuggles with me on the couch. I go to all his soccer games and school functions.  We are pretty much the average family. 

I know its different having your own child.  But I don't think its fair that step-mothers get forgotten.  Gene and JJ have always thought of me before, but it was obvious how many other people didn't even think of it.

Being a step parent is hard.  At least for me it is.  I know I will never be his mother, and I don't want to take anything away from his mother.  But, I want to be a part of his life.  Its a very tricky balance.  One that JJ handles well, but at times I've had my struggles.  Its only going to get trickier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment