Monday, May 7, 2012

Journey

During my IVF cycles, my mom would give my a little care package.  In this package were small gifts to be open every night.  She knows I don't like needles and she knows the emotional toll I was putting myself through.  I looked forward to that little surprise, each and every night.  They weren't grand things, but just small items that made me smile, or laugh, or take my mind off the current situation.

This last round, one of the packages were two key chains.  Each was a small croc shoe (which I have several pairs of.  BTW, the dressier styles are so comfy). One was green and had a happy gibit in it, and one was purple, with a L gibit in it.  I took the purple one immediately downstairs and attached it to my keychain.  I knew it looked silly, but I loved it.

Last weekend, Gene and I were buying a new car (yeah for me!).  He told me I had too many key chains on my key ring and I should consolidate.  I told him I didn't want to, that the croc and the wooden medallion he made does not make it too much.

This weekend, we were in Atlanta for a soccer tournament.  He of course was driving the new ride.  He decided to take the shoe off the key chain and leave it in the car.  I begged and pleaded with him to keep it on, but he just wouldn't, and I didn't want to get to the root of my concern with JJ being there.

You see, that shoe symbolizes my journey.  Its a reminder to me of the steps I've walked.  How much its taken for me to get where I am.  I look at it every day and think back to the nights of wondering and waiting.  Its silly really, but its important to me.  I'll never forget where I've been.  I'll never forget that miracle can happen.  And if its just a little key chain that can help me do that, then I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment