Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Thanks for reminding me

A co worker had a baby a few weeks ago. Today, she stopped by for everyone to see him. She also stopped by to submit her resignation.

We all knew this was coming (except maybe the boss). Things around here have been in some turmoil. Management has changed hands and the morale was really low. Another staff member is leaving in two weeks. Its just a sad sight around here.

When the boss told us she was leaving, she had already slipped it to us, he told us she was choosing to stay home with the little one. Then he jab that I should know all about that. Yes, dumb ass. I do know all about that. I want to stay home every single day. Its incredibly hard to drop my child off at day care for someone else to watch while I come to work and do mostly nothing all day. I would love to have the opportunity to be a stay at home mom. But I can't.

I work so we can have insurance. Gene is a small business owner. Personal insurance is not cheap, let alone personal insurance on a family. Abby needs medical coverage. Thankfully she is healthy, but I couldn't bear to think about the what ifs. His business is growing, and hopefully some day I can stay home. Or at least go part time. Or maybe even go somewhere else and do something else. I feel stuck here because I don't want to lose the benefits I do have. They aren't much, but its what I know and it works for me.

I turned my back to the jab. Hopefully he noticed. He, after all, is the reason things are like they are. I think Gene being in business for himself is the best thing ever, and it probably wouldn't be if it wasn't for the boss man. Its a love/hate relationship. And today was more of a hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment