Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Over the River and through the Woods

To Grandmother's (aka.. Nana's) house we go (went)!

This weekend Abby and I took a little visit to my parents house. It was my Dad's birthday Saturday, so I thought I would give him the present of Abby for his birthday.

I fell ill Thursday night, so I didn't get packed up like I had wanted to so Friday morning I was hustling around trying to remember everything. I loaded the car, headed to work and told Gene we would swing by on our way out of town. (He didn't go because he had things he needed to get done in the shop.)

At 2:30 Friday afternoon I get a call from daycare that Abby has a fever, 102.5. Great. I drop everything at work, tell the boss I'm leaving, (he gives me a hard time, trying to be funny, but when your child is sick and you don't know why, its not funny, no matter if its Friday or not) and head to get her. She seems her usual self when I pick her up, just hot. So I decide that we can still make the trip. A little love and attention from Nana and Mom would do us both good.

We swing by the house and pick up all the things I forgot. Kiss Gene good bye and hit the road. Abby is such a great car traveller. She slept the whole way. I counted down the miles on the GPS. (I know how to get there, but I love that the GPS tells me how much longer I have to go. No more asking... Are we there yet?).

We arrive in time for dinner and some play time with Nana and Grampa. Abby goes to bed a little later that usual, but not extremely late, and with no problems. She sleeps all night in a different crib without problems. She still a little warm in the morning, but I squirt some more Tylenol in her mouth and we go shopping. The mission of the weekend is to get Abby's fall/winter wardrobe ready. Nana had already gathered several pieces, but we had coupons galore to use, so we were out to get more things. I can't believe how many cute things there are out there. She is set to go now. Her drawers and closet are well stocked!

Grandpa had fun pushing Abby around in the stroller. She took a little nap during lunch time. She didn't seem interested in eating or drinking, but I wasn't going to force it. She would when she was hungry enough. With all new surroundings, she was too busy looking.

We came home and Abby took another nap. When she woke up, she seemed more like herself. The fever seemed to have disappeared. Jerry, Tracie and the boys came over for a cook out for Dad's birthday. They both had fun stealing her from each other. Abby finally wanted to eat and she enjoyed the cook out dinner. She ate hamburger, macaroni salad, and she loved the baked beans.

But her favorite item was dessert. She wasn't crazy about the texture of the cake, but she loved the frosting. And crazy Uncle Jerry gave her all she wanted. She promptly shoved it in her face, while rubbing it every where. It was straight to the bathtub after that.

Another night of no problems going to bed and staying asleep. Both mornings my parents let her snuggle in their bed with them. I got up to hear her giggling with them. We hung out for the morning, then we went to the fabric store. I'm slightly obsessed with making her bibs right now and I needed more snap pieces. I also found bundles of fat quarters to make more bibs out of. Once I had my craft fix, we went to IHop for pancakes. Abby loved eating the pancakes. She sat like a big girl at the table. She played with her toys and smiled at the waitress.

Once lunch was done it was back on the road. Abby was ready for a nap and she fell asleep before we hit the interstate. Again, she was such a good sleeper. She got fussy the last 20 minutes, but I was getting antsy too. It was so good to come home and see Gene there. I think we both enjoyed being away, but the comforts of home were nice to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment