Tuesday, September 24, 2013

First Sleepover

Abby and I spent our first night apart last weekend.

Gene and I had made plans to celebrate a friends birthday. I knew we would be out late, so I pitched the idea of a sleepover. I knew she could handle it. She's sleeping through the night. She might wake up for a pacifier, but otherwise, she's become a great sleeper. I knew there wouldn't be any problems with it.

We dropped her off at dinner time with MaeMae and Poppie. They were eager to keep her, and now that's she's more playful its easier to keep her. I gave the review of foods, bottles, and bed time routine. I gave her a big kiss and off we went.

It was harder driving away that time than the first time I left her.

We didn't stay out as late as I thought we would, and I contemplated picking her up. But I knew she was asleep and she would be fine. I should enjoy the peaceful night and the few extra moments of quiet in the morning.

I stared at the monitor before falling asleep. Empty, except for the giraffe laying there in the corner.

I woke up, ready to get in the car and go get her. Again, I tried to enjoy the peaceful moment, but it was too hard. I called to check on her, and of course, she was doing fine. She slept well, ate well, and was playing. The only problem was an accident in her jammys, which left her scooting around in her diaper.

I finally couldn't take it anymore and I went to get her. The minute she saw me she got wide eyed and made a beeline straight to me. I want to capture that smile in a bottle and keep it forever. She acted like I had never left. That made me feel good.

In two weeks we have a wedding to go to and an overnight stay is booked again. Hopefully that time it will be a little easier... for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment