Thursday, April 26, 2012

From the mouths of babes

We couldn't hold it in any longer and we told JJ last weekend. 

I videoed the discussion because I knew it would be a keeper.

 

I love his curiosity.  The video doesn't show it, but he has since asked a ton of questions.  And thoughtful questions.  Like, how big is it?  What does it eat?  Is it sleeping?  Can I feel it? Who is my doctor?  Where will we go when its born? How many times will I go to the doctor? 

The question that got me was, What will I call it?  Meaning, is this my brother or sister.  We try not to emphasize that we are a blended family.  Plus a blended family of an adopted child.  He doesn't call me mom, but if we are out in public and people refer to me as his mom, we know that's ok.  In all technicality, this child is no blood relation to him, but in our home, blood doesn't mean anything.  JJ is ecstatic that the prospect of having a sibling.

We celebrated that night with a trip to JJ's favorite place.  The olive garden.  When he asked how big the baby was, I told him about the size of an olive.  When the salad was delivered, he asked Gene if he wanted his olive.  Gene looked puzzled, and asked him why, because he always loves the olives.  He said he just didn't want it.  But I could see the wheels turning.  He confessed that he didn't want to eat the baby. 

A few minutes later, I looked over and the olive was gone.  I asked him where it went and he said he ate it.  But, that he thought about it and the baby was probably more like a green olive than a black, so it was ok.

The baby has since become to be known as olive. Straight from the mouth of babes.

No comments:

Post a Comment