Thursday, October 31, 2013

The part they don't tell you about

A friend of mine had a baby two weeks ago. She messaged me yesterday to ask about breast pumps and she commented on how hard it was and nobody tells you about it.

Its true. They don't tell you how hard its going to be. Its physically and mentally exhausting. I didn't blog much the 12 weeks I was off on maternity because I didn't have the time or the energy. I had a baby that wouldn't let me put her down to do much at all. It wasn't a relaxing time, it was a very stressful and trying time.

I'm sure I'm not the first mother, or the last to think "what have I gotten myself into?" You feel horrible for thinking it, but its true. You really can reach your breaking point.

I thought about why us mothers don't share this experience. I think the excitement of a first time mother is something special. You would be called the Debbie downer if you actually told her how terrible it could be. And then again, you have those mothers who seem to have the perfect baby and make it seem so easy. It made me think I was the only one like struggling. Its a hard subject to bring up.

Every one thinks babies are so cute and adorable. They are, but not all the time. I'll admit that I didn't enjoy the tiney tiny infant stage. I just didn't feel like I knew what I was doing, and it was really hard to ask what to do because no one can give you a straight answer. Every baby is different.

The almost toddler stage. I like this part. Abby and I seemed to have figured each other out. I understand when she's hungry, wet, or just tired. She's a lot more expressive and interactive. And, she sleeps. Which helps... a ton! Everyone is much more pleasant with enough sleep.

Its cliche, but it does get better. And its hard because nobody can tell you when, but just know at some point it will and it will be wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment