Thursday, October 2, 2014

Accidental Poop

We are in the beginning phases of potty training.  I think she is really ready, but I'm having a hard time finding a weekend where we can commit to it.  I think she will be quick, but I want the freedom to not have a commitment at all to deter us.

But, we practice on the potty a lot.  She knows she gets a treat if she pee pees.  And she is learning that she doesn't get the treat if she doesn't pee pee.  Before and after bath, we practice on the potty.  Sometimes she goes, sometimes she just plays.  Tuesday was a play day.  Before the bath, no success.  After the bath, she was a little more focused.  I could tell she was trying hard.  She would bear down and then pop up and exclaim she pee peed, only to show me an empty potty.

Then it happened....

I could see her pushing hard and I heard it.  She popped up and looked at the potty.  What she saw was frightening to her.  But I was overly excited.  Abby pooped in the potty!  And, she had no idea what that brown stuff was.  She was genuinely scared of it.  But I continued to do the potty dance and get excited.  I told her she gets two treats (M&M's) for going poopy on the potty.  She gladly took those without further question.

I thought about it after she went to bed.  Why would she be scared of poop?  I realized, she had never seen it before.  She poops in her diaper.  We lay her down, clean up her bum, and toss the diaper away.  We don't show her the poop.  She's never played with her poop (knock on wood).  So I guess I would be startled too if I saw a little brown squishy thing in the potty when I was expecting liquid. 

I'm hoping she won't be scared it anymore and this will make potty training even easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment