Monday, December 30, 2013

Buh Bye for now

Saturday we dropped Grammy off at the airport.  It was bittersweet.

I had a hard time gauging her enjoyment while she was here.  I didn't know if she was comfortable being away from home for 9 days.  She left a lot of troubles behind, mostly just a drop everything and run situation.  So I couldn't tell if she was eager to get back to it, or glad to be away from it.

When we said goodbye at the airport, I could tell she was glad to have been away.  I noticed some tears in her eyes.  I tried my best to hide mine.  I'm never good at goodbye. 

I'm hoping she enjoyed a little time to herself.  Someone to pamper her and look after her, instead of the other way around.  She thanked me again and again for going above and beyond for her.  She's my grandmother, she's my elder, that's what you are suppose to do.  She's family.

I think family is important and so does she.  But over time, families spread apart and time passes and lives go on and family gets forgotten.  You get wrapped up in what your little family is doing and you forget about grandmothers, uncles, aunts, cousins.

We don't have family reunions anymore.  The holidays are spent close to your home and not travelling to see extended family.  I miss that sometimes.  Its always fun to reconnect and reminisce about life.  Weddings and funerals are about the only time those happen anymore and there is usually so many other things going on that its hard to just sit down and chat.

I'll always cherish the week Grammy spent with us.  I hope in the future that she will be able to do it again.  I don't know how her health will go, so I don't know if it will be possible again. 

I do know that I will most likely see her again this summer.  Jerry is getting married and she is hoping to come.  As long as she has some one to drive her (or make travel arrangements for her!). I can't wait and I'm already looking forward to it!


No comments:

Post a Comment