Thursday, January 31, 2013

Transitions

Life in the past 12 weeks has changed for all of us.  I knew Gene and I could handle the new changes, but I was most worried about how JJ would handle it all.

On the outside, he seems to be doing really well.  He wants to hold her and play with her.  He dotes on her like any big brother would.  He's gentle and kind to her. He even attempted to change a diaper by himself.

But its come out of him a few times that hes jealous of all the attention.  He doesn't direct it toward me.  But he has told Gene and his mother a few things that break my heart.

He confessed to Gene last week that he doesn't think I'm giving him the same attention as I use to.  He's felt ignored.  His example was that I didn't say Bless You to him when he sneezed, and I always say bless you.  Who knows why I didn't that time.  I don't remember it, but it wasn't deliberate. He also said he doesn't feel like he can tell me things because I'm so busy with Abby. 

I don't want him to feel this way.  I know its hard to be the center of attention for 11 years and all of a sudden you have to share.  I can't imagine what's going on in his head. 

I think his problems are coming from more people than just us.  Everyone loves a new baby.  Everyone wants to hold it and play with it.  Including Grandparents. 

I'm hoping that when the newness wears off, so will his hurt feelings.  In the mean time, I'm trying to do everything I can to make him feel special.  Even if it means sacrificing special baby moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment