Monday, April 28, 2014

Gone Duck Hunting

This weekend, my parents came up for a visit.  We really didn't have anything planned.  Which is always a hard thing when they come.  I feel like if there isn't anything planned, the time drags on and we just sit around at home.  But this time, it didn't feel like that.

Abby played outside for a while Saturday morning.  Then she went down for a nap around lunch time.  We went and got lunch and brought it home to eat.  After she woke up, we let her eat lunch and then waited on Gene to get home from working.  We decided we were going to feed the ducks at a local pond.

I had never been to the pond, but it has some nice large geese there.  It was well shaded.  I thought it would be great for Abby to do.  Plus, its something I did often with my parents as a child.  We stopped on the way to get a loaf of bread for the ducks.  We only had one slice left at home.  The ducks were lucky to get fresh bread!

Instantly, Abby loved giving the ducks bread.  She also liked eating it herself.  She would politely ask for more please.  Then she would break off a piece for the ducks and then take a bite for herself.  She must have eaten at least three pieces total.  I would try to get her to continue to feed the ducks and not herself. 

She thought it was loads of fun.  She loved seeing the ducks swim away, fly back in for more bread.  She laughed when the chased each other and when they fought.  She also let one duck take the bread completely from her hand.  (I got it on camera, the duck literally eats her hand!!!)  And she didn't say a peep!

She got to ride around on my dad's shoulders.  Just like I did when I was little.  She had fun slapping his head, and messing up his hair.  She made a lot of Ohh's and Ahh's while she was riding.

The weather was beautiful.  It was warm, but not humid.  There was plenty of shade, but just enough sun.  Everyone had a really great time.  I am glad that my parents were able to have this experience with Abby. I hope its something we can continue to do as she gets older.

No comments:

Post a Comment