Friday, June 28, 2013

Big Girl Bed

Abby has always slept upstairs with us in the pack and play.  First, in our room.  That lasted a night and Gene kicked her out for making too much noise. So we moved her into the upstairs den.  Close enough, but yet far enough we couldn't hear her.  Perfect.

After coming home from the beach, we moved her even further, into the book nook.  Hoping the noise and temperature would be different and she would sleep better.  Well, she has.  For two nights in a row, she didn't wake up wanting to eat.  She would whimper for a paci, and we would shuffle over and soothe her, but that's all it took.

Last night she feel asleep while we were downstairs watching tv.  I carried her to her bed to let her sleep there.  When it came time for us to go to bed, I contemplated moving her.  I typically would pick her up and carry her upstairs to the PNP.  I asked Gene, What should we do?

We decided to leave her and see how it goes.  We took the monitor upstairs with us.  Just and audio monitor, man would I love to have a video monitor.  She made a few peeps, but soothed herself back to sleep.  Around 3:00 Gene woke up and realized the monitor was out of batteries.  Whoops! 

I went to retrieve the charger and check on Abby.  She was sound a sleep, snoring away in her crib like a big girl. 

I heard a few more peeps out of her again before I woke up, but it wasn't a cry for help.  Just her trying to get comfy. 

She looked so peaceful in her big girl bed when I left for work this morning.  I'm so proud of her for learning to sleep on her own.  Sleep training is hard and I'm not sure I ever had the patience to go through with it.  Why would I let her cry when I know all she needs is the paci?  But then again, are we building a dependency on the paci? 

For now, its just one night at a time.  We still don't have teeth, so I'm sure when those start to come in, sleep might get a little shaky.  But for now, every one is enjoying being more rested.

No comments:

Post a Comment