Wednesday, May 7, 2014

She's just like me

There is no doubt... that Abby is my child.  She's just like me.

Swimming lessons didn't go "swimmingly"

She didn't object to being there.  She didn't have a problem in the pool.  But she clung to me like her life depended on it.  She participated.  She let me kick her arms and legs.  But, she whimpered the entire time and shyly hid her face.

That's me.  To a T.

I've always been slightly afraid to try new things.  I'm hesitant but if able to go at my own speed, I'm ok.  We took each part of the lesson slowly.  I don't want to completely freak her out.  She hated being splashed in the face by the big boy next to us, but she loved it when I blew bubbles in the water.

She was similar last week with getting blood drawn.  I knew she didn't want to do it, but she didn't fight it.  She knew that there wasn't any choice but to get through it.  And in the end... its really not all that bad.

As an adult, I'm trying to not be a shy about things.  Especially now that I have a child that is showing the same personality. 

It will be hard to shed the wallflower persona.  Its really what defines me.  Its also Gene.  We are the perfect pair of wall flowers.  And we created the ultimate wallflower.

Except, I don't want Abby to miss out things because of it.  I look back at my life and there are so many times I wish I would have done or said something, but I was too shy and I missed out.

Abby doesn't need those regrets.  Life is too short.

No comments:

Post a Comment