Friday, May 9, 2014

Periodic Fever Syndrome

They took more blood yesterday.  Just two tubes this time.  They called this morning with the results. (Which I didn't think we would know anything till Monday).

The nurse explained that the inflammatory markers has returned to normal.  That's what we'd hoped to see.  She said this is mostly likely Periodic Fever Syndrome. 

Young children will spike a high fever, with no other symptoms, for 48-72 hours, and then be fine. 

This diagnosis doesn't surprise me.  This is what google told me it probably was.  This is what Dr. Hart thought it might be.  This just confirms this.

So the plan is, next time the fever appears, take a dose of Prednisone and record the temps for 24 hours. The hope is the steroid eliminates the fever.

Lets hope it works.  I would really hope to not have another fever for a while.  4 back to back is rough.  Google says it can happen as frequently as every 2 weeks.  I don't know how many cycles you can go through.

I still think its ironic that it occurs with teething.  But I'm not confident it is occurring with teething.  Its so harder to tell with the molars.  I don't feel anything on the other side.  I saw a small spot 2 weeks ago, but she won't let me look in there now. I really don't feel like its teething, given how high it can get.  And, that she throws up.

I just hope it all resolves soon, and never comes back!



No comments:

Post a Comment